Teachers play an important role in creating an all inclusive welcoming environment for their pupils,one which helps create a sense of belonging and engagement and helps them them feel supported and cared when at school.
Parents,in turn, will then ensure that their children spend the maximum possible time in class,in a school that provides a warm community which lays emphasis on the student’s safety and well-being.
There are many advantages of studying in a positive learning space, that allows the child to study adequately and at the same time share ideas with peers in the classroom without any fear of intimidation.
What makes a learning environment engaging?
Active learning,apart from the physical participation,requires active engagement of the student’s mind in the learning process.
Educators should be promoting inclusivity teaching programs that offer a learning experience beneficial for students, irrespective of backgrounds, learning styles and abilities, where every pupil feels equally valued and respected.
They can do this by by providing opportunities to students to share their own perspectives and experiences,especially those created by individuals from different backgrounds.
Get to know your students by addressing them by their first names,to demonstrate care and concern. Establish respect for diverse people and their diverse talents in order to allow them to showcase their talents.
Some other tips to create a welcoming school environment are:
- Make sure to pronounce students names correctly and encourage them to share stories about their names.
- Ensure signs are marked in the home language of the student throughout school.
- Gauge family prefered way of communication to promote two way interaction.
- Your job as a teacher doesn’t end after class,as ever student will have their emotional and and mental needs as well.Treat each student personally and addres their needs.
- Learn as much as possible about the student’s interest, experience and needs
- Collaborate with other teachers in the school to tailor learning experiences and materials. From Aluminum bleachers to school supplies, ensure everything is selected carefully.
- Remember,a smile goes a very long way.
Some of the benefits for students
For students, being a part of a welcoming and warm school community is critical to their success,both in class and at home.
It strengthens student engagement,increases daily attendance and helps build a positive relationship between the student and the teacher.
A positive learning environment helps:
- A child to learn everything around them in a proper environment, providing the critical thinking to gain confidence to understand ideas and formulas.
- A teaching platform that focuses on robust connections encourages communication and fosters a cooperative learning environment.
- Safety is prioritized on a good learning platform for students to maintain a safe learning environment.
In a nutshell
A welcoming environment is all about equity and community. If you keep just these two ideas in mind, you will be able to create an environment that is not only safe for safe and visible,but engages the students in safe and meaningful ways as well.
Students and teachers are generally happier and more engaged in working in an environment that meets these standards.