Access doors can come in various sizes, and sometimes it can be overwhelming to choose one that best suits your needs. There are quite a few factors to consider before you decide on the size of your access door. It can become easier to choose the size after considering these factors and considering the features you need your access door to have. You can learn more about choosing the right size for your access panel below:
What Is an Access Door?
Access doors were primarily for easy and convenient access to specific spaces or parts of a commercial building. You can mostly find these doors in commercial buildings, but you can also install them at home. These access doors usually have different features and are made from steel or aluminum. Depending on the purpose, you can choose from various access doors that range from general-purpose ones to fire-rated ones.
Access doors, especially fire-rated ones, are often found in commercial buildings to adhere to the International Building Code (IBC). They are usually there for security and safety reasons. Still, most commercial buildings install access doors for convenient access to plumbing, wiring, air ducts, and even storage spaces, so you can find many reasons to install them.
What Are They For?
From the beginning, access doors generally provided the maintenance crew with an easier way to reach certain parts of a commercial building. It is so they can do their job without the hassle of having to crawl or go through damp or cramped spaces to reach parts of the building, like the plumbing systems. Over the years, the purpose of access doors increased, and here are some of them:
You can find that these access doors are often categorized and listed down based on their features and specifications to make it easier for you to choose one for your residential or commercial building. Choosing one for convenience and easy installation is the main reason for having an access panel.
Factors To Consider When Choosing the Size
Now that you have a more tangible idea of what access doors are and how convenient they can be, you need to consider the size. Access panels can come with various size options that may overwhelm you, and you might be at a loss on how to choose the right one for your residential or commercial establishments. Here are some factors you can consider when choosing a size:
- Purpose: You first need to consider what you need an access door for. It can help you determine which size is the best fit. For example, Large Walk Through General access doors are perfect for large ducts or plumbing systems. It provides convenient and easy access without having to crawl through to reach the vital components for maintenance.
- Safety: The next thing you need to consider is the safety and security of these access doors when you install them in your home or commercial space. Will they be a hindrance? Will there be enough space to open and close the access panel for maintenance safely? These are just some questions you can ask yourself before choosing what size you want.
- Convenience: Another thing you need to consider is the convenience it brings. Will installing an access door of this size be convenient for the personnel you will allow entry to? Will having a large access door be more convenient than having one of the standard sizes? You can always measure the wall and imagine the access door already in place and see if it is a suitable size.
- Building Codes: You should also adhere to building codes. The code often states the size and distance of an access door from the floor or the adjacent wall. It is usually after considering safety and convenience, especially if you plan to place an access door in a commercial establishment.
- Location: Never forget where you plan to install the access door when choosing the size of the access door. Usually, people draw in the size of the access door they plan on placing to ensure that it does not become hazardous. Knowing the location will also help determine if you can open and close the door quickly.
Choosing a size for your access door depends on many factors. Selecting the right size may take some time, but it can guarantee convenience and makes the investment worthwhile. So, before you go ahead and buy or order access doors, keep the above factors in mind so that you have no regrets.